Wednesday 25 March 2015

Progression of Cover Page


The photograph displayed at the top of the page is of my first draft. Here, my photo was not adequate as although i liked the photo the artist was no looking at the audience, which created no direct appeal. Also the most important part of the page is the top third, and by having the artist look away this creates no striking part of the image that stands out in the top third. However on my final draft which is displayed underneath, the artist is looking directly at the reader, and the dark brown eyes immediately catch the audiences attention and create a direct appeal. I also changed the title of my magazine throughout the process whilst writing my article. I tried to use a variety of vocabulary to make the article more linguistically interesting and came across the word 'fusion' which i thought sounded like a good magazine title and which i could also relate to the magazine, and which had relevant connotations. Fusion relates to the developing R&B genre and the way different genres of music are being intertwined with the genre to form a new generation of R&B music. It also represents social groups, for example those with the roots of R&B music. The R&B genre was first created in America, predominantly by African Americans who used the music as a form of expression in a time when apartheid still had some significance and presence in society. Therefore fusion represents the developments in society and the integration of different races in society which has allowed the genre to become accessible to multiple ethnicity's. Furthermore, i also altered the font of the masthead and size due to the change in the title. I changed the font on the rest of the page as well and made the decision from looking at my first draft that i wanted all font on the page to be displayed in black. From this my basic colour scheme became black and white, a white a background and black text with the cover artist also dressed in black which created quite a slick look to the magazine cover page. I think the photo creates some contrast however, by the colour of my artists hair and the lipstick that i chose to use on her in the image. I also chose to use a different font for my cover lines after looking at the first draft. Although i liked the font that i used and thought it made a statement in my first draft, i don't think it worked well with the pink stripe spanning the page in the background. Therefore i decided to change this and use a font for the cover page and that matched that of the masthead as i believed this created more consistency across the page.  I kept the secondary cover lines relatively similar in font although changed the text to something more endearing. I also added several plugs/lures down the central right hand side of the page to give some extra information to the audience and to entice them to buy the magazine more. I also changed the positioning of my bar-code, so that it did not detract from the image that i used. My final draft changed quite significantly from my first draft, however i was happy with the changes I made and think that they worked much more effectively than the first draft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment